Thursday, January 21, 2016

Running is therapy

Starting my running journey was, at least in the beginning, challenging.  Surprisingly, coming from an active athletic background helped mildly. My journey began in 2014. My goal - to run one Half Marathon.  That Half Marathon goal snowballed into 7 Half Marathon, a 10 miler, 10K and a few 5k races.  I just could not help myself. Signing up for races had become an addiction.  Especially the sell out races.  You know what I mean.  You have to be at your computer at a certain time and a certain day.  Your heart is racing, fingers trembling.  That huge sigh of relief you expel when you finally get in.  Yes those races (ie Disney races).  While there are many similar sell out races out there, Disney takes the cake. 
My Disney love started long before my running journey even entered my mind. It is the Happiest Place on Earth! So if I was going to start this fitness journey I might as well do it at happy place. One crazy morning I decided to sign up for the Disney Half Marathon held every year in January. Rumor was that in order to sign up I would need to be at my computer sell day at noon. I was ready. My credit card in hand. Both RunDisney and Active websites up and ready.  Refreshing the page every 3 seconds. Then finally the registration form came up.  With lightning fast speed I typed every bit of information that was needed. And then like that...I WAS IN!!! Me! The girl who had never ran more than 3 miles was going to run 13.1 miles. 

No comments: